Monday, January 10, 2011

And So It Begins....

I have been meaning to blog for awhile now. No, really! I've even had a couple of "practice blogs" where I create the page, post a few times and then let it fall into cyberspace oblivion. This time I am determined to do better. I guess this is all part of my 12-step New Year's Resolution Uber-makeover plan. Ok so maybe it doesn't have 12 actual steps (yet), but I really want to start doing a few things just for me and this blog is one of them.

As I was trying to come up with a blog address earlier, I wanted something that would sort of reflect what this page is going to be all about. The problem was I wasn't exactly sure what this page was going to be all about. The address I chose, "expeditionofexpression" happened for a couple of reasons: almost every other combination I chose was already taken, my English degree gives me the unofficial right to use big words, and the big one -- my whole life really seems to be a journey of words. Most of my interests and passions revolve around words, communicating, and expression. I was an English Literature and history major in college. I am currently a librarian. I love to read. I love to write. I love to talk. I love stories whether they come from books, movies, or history.

If I keep this up (and if you stick around), I will probably be talking about my family, particularly my 5-year old son and the ups and downs of single parenting. I recently found out I have Type II Diabetes. At 31, this was kind of an life-changing, earth-shattering diagnosis. I am learning more and more about it each day and adjusting to my new way of living, so you can bet there will be a little about that. I will probably post some book reviews or at least thoughts on things I have been reading. I may even fill you in on some of my genealogical findings because even though it's mostly my family I will talk about, some of their stories are kinda cool (and if they aren't I'm sure someone will tell me... ;) ).

The other purpose of writing this blog is to get me to do just that -- write. Writing is something that I have always loved to do and something that (like a lot of things I enjoy) I have let fall between the cracks. I am hoping by just writing on this blog each day or so it will help me get back into the habit of writing regularly. So here goes nothing! Let the journey begin.

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Can't wait to read more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'm glad you're becoming a blogger--perhaps you'll find a cult finding and make millions...if you do, remember how much you value our friendship...I mean really VALUE. :) MUAH friend!!
    Serious note: you have such a great sense of voice. If I could only teach my kids the same...

    ReplyDelete